school stabbing

A 17-year-old student was fatally stabbed and three other students were injured Wednesday morning at Spring High School.

The stabbing happened in a hallway leading to the cafeteria at 7:10 a.m. on the campus at 19428 North Freeway, according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies said one person died at the scene, another was flown by Life Flight medical helicopter to Memorial Hermann-The Texas Medical Center, and two others were taken to Houston Northwest Medical Center for treatment. On Wednesday afternoon one of those two patients was transported by ground to the Memorial Hermann Texas Trauma Institute where they are reported to be in good condition, according to a hospital official.

Two of the victims suffered minor injuries, according to Sheriff Adrian Garcia. The deceased has been identified by multiple TV reports as Joshua Broussard, 17. The victim transported via helicopter was identified by Channel 26 as Deavean Bazile, 16, who suffered injuries to his abdomen. KTRK is also reporting that one of the two victims taken to Houston Northwest Medical Center has been treated and released.

“There is some information that this may have been gang related,” Garcia said, but he did not explain the information he was citing.

Garcia said there was a confrontation that escalated into a fight, then weapons were pulled out. He said that there are no metal detectors on campus and investigators have so far not found the weapons.

Deputies had not been called to the school about gang violence before today, according to an HCSO release. Both HCSO and the Spring ISD have said that they will provide additional security at the high school for the next few days.

Three persons of interest are being interviewed by investigators. All three are students at Spring High School, HCSO said.

Police scanner traffic indicates officials are also looking for a white Ford F-150 with the words “Grim Reaper” written on it.

The school has about 3,000 students, according to Spring ISD superintendent Ralph Draper.

Parents waiting across the street from the high school said district officials told them their children would be put on buses and sent to a nearby Conn’s parking lot so they could be picked up.

There were well over 100 people standing on the side of the road watching buses pulling into the school to pick up students.

Parents said school officials have told them to call or text their children to get the number of the school bus their child boards. Parents said they were then instructed to go to the Conn’s parking lot and look for that bus number to find their child.

Some parents have said they are frustrated by the lack of information school officials have given them and how long it took for them to be contacted.

Draper addressed the criticism by explaining that two things had to happen immediately after the stabbing: the school had to be made safe and officials had to not interfere with the police investigation.

Once those two items were accomplished, Draper said, the district was able to communicate with parents.

Chris Burks said his 15-year-old daughter is a sophomore at the school. He said she sent him text messages saying she was OK and was waiting to leave the school.

Burks said at about 10 a.m., he received a generic text message from the district giving a brief explanation that an incident had occurred. He said it didn’t have any information about where his child was or if she was OK.

“I’m not happy,” Burks said.

Parents waiting in a strip mall parking lot across the street from the school said they were scared when they heard the news reports of the stabbing.

Donna Mendoza said her phone is not working and she hasn’t heard from her 15-year-old daughter, who is a student at the school, but she believes she is OK.

Mendoza said the news reports are frightening and she can’t wait to see her daughter.

“This is the worst fear of a parent,” Mendoza said.

Neftali Castro said she graduated from Spring High School five years ago and she isn’t surprised that something like this happened. She said the school was rough back then and there were often fights among the students.

Castro was waiting in the parking lot for her younger brother. She has several cousins who also attend the school and one of them said her brother is safe. None of her family was harmed, and her brother was locked down in a classroom after the stabbing happened.

“I was really scared something happened to my brother,” Castro said. “When I found out he was OK, I was relieved.”

A spokesman for the family of one of the victims said the incident was part of an ongoing battle between a group of kids that had been going on for sometime, a group of young men of different races.”We pray for the family of the man who did not make it through this tragedy,” said Pastor E.A. Deckard of Green House International Church. “We as a community need to come together to show kids the value of real life.”

“This was not gang violence, but simply a misunderstanding between two people,” said the pastor.